Here I raise mine Ebenezer.*
* The word ebenezer literally means “stone of help” and refers to “a public memorial to the help of the Lord (1 Sam 7.12)” (PHRW, 563).
Assurance of Salvation: Implications of a New Testament Theology of Hope. Greenville: BJU Press, 2010. Also available electronically on Logos.
- In Assurance of Salvation, Matthew C. Hoskinson traces the New Testament doctrine of hope and its implications for an age-old debate: how believers may be sure of their salvation. After delineating major orthodox views of assurance, Hoskinson measures today’s evangelical positions against references to hope in each part of the New Testament. Along the way, he addresses topics such as Reformed and Wesleyan theology, the Second Coming of Christ, and whether assurance is necessary for salvation. The result will clarify how to have, and how to help others have, what Hebrews 6:11 calls the full assurance of hope unto the end.
- Review by Tom Schreiner, the James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Review by Dan Olinger, the Chairperson of the Division of Bible at Bob Jones University.
- Review by Trevor Craigen (begins on p. 245), retired Professor of Theology at The Master’s Seminary
- Review by Greg Wilson, pastor of Community Bible Church in Palmyra, PA.
- Review by Norm Olson, senior editor of the Baptist Bulletin.
- Review by Charles Eldred, pastor of Fairway Park Baptist Church in Heyward, CA.
A study guide to Ephesians in Explore! (Surrey, England: The Good Book Company, forthcoming).
“What a New Pastor Doesn’t Know,” 9Marks, 21 May 2014.
“Ancient Answers for Modern Questions,” The Gospel Coalition, 28 November 2012.
“Redeemer’s New Building and Yours,” The Gospel Coalition, 28 March 2012.
“On Being Baptist,” unpublished article written for the First Baptist Church of NYC, 16 November 2009.
“A Christian Fundamentalist Travel Guide,” 9Marks eJournal, March-April 2008.
“What Can We Learn from Christian Fundamentalists?” 9Marks eJournal, March-April 2008.
“The Hope of the Gospel in Youth Discipleship,” SharperIron, 5 October 2007.
“The Role of the Church in Youth Discipleship,” SharperIron, 20 June 2007.
“The Primacy of Parents in Youth Discipleship,” SharperIron, 19 April 2007.
“The Centrality of God in Youth Discipleship,” SharperIron, 12 March 2007.