In light of the fortieth anniversary of Roe v. Wade yesterday, John Piper, recently retired pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, offers eleven reasons that support the thesis above.
Piper self-consciously does not argue against abortion in this post from a biblical standpoint, but forms arguments that people who do not believe the Bible must contend with. His goals therefore are to dispel any claim of ignorance as to what abortion is, to awaken within us a horror to the practice of abortion, and (for Christians) to inspire us to a gospel-saturated love for people.
Here are his eleven reasons we all know that we are killing children:
- Anecdotally, abortionists will admit they are killing children.
- States treat the killing of the unborn as a homicide.
- Fetal surgery treats the unborn as children and patients.
- Being small does not disqualify personhood.
- Not having developed reasoning does not disqualify personhood.
- Being in the womb does not disqualify human personhood.
- Being dependent on mommy does not disqualify personhood.
- The genetic makeup of humans is unique.
- All the organs are present at eight weeks of gestation.
- We have seen the photographs.
- When two rights conflict, the higher value should be protected.
Read the whole article here.