Title: The Glory of Singleness
Text: 1Corinthians 7.25–28
- audio (streaming | download)
- articles cited in message
- Micah McCormick, “Praying for the One” (part 1 | part 2 | part 3). An excellent article by a single man who is also a pastor. Locates the sanctifying role that a spouse plays in the broader context of God’s sanctifying his people.
- Clyde Ervine, “Single in the Church: Eunuch in the Kingdom.” More technical than Micah’s article, and also broader in scope. Traces Christianity’s historical relationship to singleness and marriage from the early church to the present age. Offers critical insight for the benefit of the local church.
- Tim Adeney, “Making Singleness Better.” A brief piece with direct application to singles, couples, and families within the church.
- books cited in message
- Barry Danylak, Redeeming Singleness: How the Storyline of Scripture Affirms the Single Life. The most dense of the resources listed here, and also the most helpful. A true biblical theology of singleness, together with its corollaries, marriage and children. Contextualizes singleness and marriage within the redemptive sweep of Scripture, thus explaining how 1Corinthians 7 and Genesis 2 complement, not contradict, one another.
- John Piper, This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence. A good introduction to the topic of marriage, for couples and singles.