Here is a look ahead to a very busy week at First:
Friday at 7pm
If You Could Ask God One Question
Tonight night is the first in a series of conversations for the curious, the questioning, and the skeptical, called If You Could Ask God One Question. You are welcome to attend if you bring a non-Christian friend. The discussion begins at 7pm in Gano Chapel. Please pray that the Spirit would bear fruit through this endeavor.
Saturday at 10am
Forward on Our Knees
To kick off this year’s Season of Prayer and Fasting, we will gather Saturday morning for a prayer and mission event called Forward on Our Knees. We’ll meet at 10am to pray, then head down to the NYC Rescue Mission to deliver the clothes we’ve collected for them. If you have a vehicle, please bring it! Either way, make your plans to attend
Sunday through Wednesday
A Season of Prayer and Fasting
Sunday begins our yearly Season of Prayer and Fasting. As will be described further in Sunday’s sermon, the First Baptist family is being asked to take four days next week (today through Wednesday) to commit to extra prayer for our congregation, our neighborhood, and our city. You will receive a prayer guide Sunday morning that will offer you specific ways to pray.
To open up extra time for prayer, all who are physically capable are asked to forego one meal per day and to use that time instead for prayer. We ask everyone to act with care and wisdom in this matter, including consulting your doctor for advice. Some may choose to fast completely for these four days, but all who are able are encouraged to exchange one meal for prayer.
Furthermore, there will be additional times of prayer every day. Those will be included in the prayer guide insert. Praying together is a great way to fellowship, and to confess our dependence on Christ, the Servant King.
Sunday at 11am
The congregational songs this week are as follows. (If you don’t know a song, click its title and you’ll be taken to a video or audio rendition.)
- “Jesus Shall Reign“
- “How Great is Our God“
- “Mercies Anew“
- “His Robes for Mine“
- “Come, My Soul, with Every Care“
- “O Church, Arise“
We anticipate celebrating baptism as part of our worship service—to God be the glory! The sermon text will be Matthew 4.1–11.
- The deacons have called a members meeting during the luncheon Sunday, January 18 for the purpose of accepting new members into our church. Please do your best to be part of this exciting event!
- The annual congregational meeting is coming soon: Sunday, January 25 at 12.45pm. Members will elect officers, approve the 2015 budget, and receive reports on a number of important items. Please make your plans to be there.
- The West Side Campaign Against Hunger needs volunteers to deliver food, stock shelves, break down boxes, assist customers, work checkout, etc. If interested, please call 212.362.3662 x123. Be sure to let them know you’re part of First Baptist.
- The church office needs some help updating our electronic records. Some of this work can be done at home on your own computer. Please contact Matthew or Gordon if you can help.
As you can see, these are very busy days for our church! Please take part in as much as you are able, and pray that in all these events the glory of the Servant King would be on display for the joy of all peoples.
See you this weekend!