On Monday we begin a forty-day journey together as we read through the New Testament!
We want everyone to take part. It’ll be a great time to saturate ourselves in the words and works of Jesus—together!
And we’ll read the NT in a way you never have. That’s because the edition we’re reading has a few distinctive features:
- There are no chapter numbers.
- There are no verse numbers.
- The books are in a different order. First we’ll read Luke‘s two books (his gospel and the Acts), followed by Paul‘s letters, then Matthew, Hebrews, and James. Since Mark’s gospel was influenced by Peter, we’ll next read Mark, 1 and 2 Peter, and Jude (which closely resembles 2 Peter). Finally, we’ll read John‘s five books: his gospel, his three epistles, and the Revelation.
For all these reasons, you’ll want to use the same edition as the rest of the church.
- Print copies of the NT will be available for free at the concert Saturday and at church Sunday. Be sure to take a copy and begin reading Monday.
- Ebook. If you prefer to read on your iPad, tablet, or smartphone, you can download a free copy here. Please note: you must pay to have the ebook for Kindle or Nook.
- Audio version. You can listen to the readings by downloading the zip file here. Each day’s reading has its own mp3.
- Kid’s audio version. A ten-minute audio version is available each day for children. You can download it here. There are also printed transcripts of the daily readings if you prefer to use that for family worship.
- Reader’s guide. To make the most of your reading of the NT, be sure to check out this reader’s guide.
You might be wondering, “Wow, that’s a lot! What should I do first?” The easiest way to get started is to click here and register. Be sure to indicate that you’re part of the First Baptist Church in the City of New York, and that you plan to begin reading June 1, 2015. In exchange you’ll receive a daily reminder email with a video introduction to that day’s reading.
The easiest way to keep going is to take part in one of our book groups. These will meet every Sunday in June and July to discuss the previous week’s reading. So come with your questions and insights to share with others! The groups will meet Sunday mornings at 9.45am at First, and Sunday evenings uptown at 6pm.
If you have any questions, just contact the church office.
Make your plans to be part of this initiative as Jesus reintroduces Himself to us through His Word!