Here’s a look ahead to what is in store this weekend at First:
Saturday at 5.30pm: Uptown Community Group
Everyone is invited to an evening of fellowship and prayer, hosted by the Davidsons’ apartment. For directions and to RSVP, please contact Mercy (mercydavison10 at gmail) or Nic (nicholas dot jaspers at gmail).
Sunday at 9.45am: Sunday school
We have Bible classes for all ages! Our children meet downstairs, the ladies in Gano Chapel, and the men in Haldeman Chapel. Come and study God’s word with his people. Coffee and refreshments will be available.
Sunday at 10.40am: Pre-service prayer meeting
Join us in Gano Chapel for a time of prayer before the worship service begins, asking the Lord to bless our day together with joy and fruitfulness for his glory.
Sunday at 11am: Worship service
Here are the songs we plan to sing Sunday:
- “Give to Our God Immortal Praise” (text | tune)
- “Light of the World” (not yet available online)
- “There is No Sin That I Have Done”
- “How High and How Wide”
- “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing”
- “By Faith”
Unless otherwise noted, these songs are available for you to listen to for free on our spring Spotify list.
The sermon text will be Psalm 88.
Celebrate Holy Week at First
Join us as we remember the death and resurrection of our Lord during Holy Week.
- It all begins next Sunday, March 20, with our Palm Sunday service.
- Then on March 24, we observe Maundy Thursday by sharing dinner together at the church at 7.30pm. After the meal, Matthew will read through the six trials of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The next night, March 25, features our Good Friday Evensong and Communion Service. The evening will include instrumental and vocal pieces, as well as congregational singing, all directing our hearts to Jesus’ death on the cross. Matthew will continue his series on Isaiah 53 by offering a reflection on verse 9. The evening will climax at the Lord’s Table where we will observe communion together.
- Easter Sunday, March 27, begins a bit earlier than usual with our Sunrise Service at 9am. The speaker will be Scott Mays, who used to be part of our congregation but has since relocated to New Haven, CT. He was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and is coming “home” to share God’s word with us. After the service we will enjoy fellowshipping with one another over breakfast.
- Then at 11am is our Resurrection Celebration. We will rejoice over Christ’s victory over sin, death, and hell with great joy as we sing songs of his triumph and hear the word of his grace.
It is a glorious week indeed. Be sure to take part, and bring a friend!
Wednesday, March 30 at 7pm: Dinner for the McNamaras
Roger and Rosemary McNamara have been part of our missionary family for many years. As they near the end of their course, we have invited them to come share with us one last time what God is doing through their ministry. Join us for dinner on this Wednesday night, then rejoice in God’s grace to this dear brother and sister over the years.
A few other items
The trustees have designated this year’s Easter Offering for the Boiler Fund. For the whole year, we need to raise $78,000 to cover the payments for our new boiler system, and we hope that the Easter Offering will take us a long way toward that goal. Would you please prayerfully consider what your part could be? If you are a regular giver, please use the special Easter envelope. Otherwise simply designate your gift on the memo line of your check for the Easter Offering. Thank you!
Looking for a Way to Serve?
The Setup Team needs your help. From preparing the Sunday school classrooms to helping with stage setup, this team is critical to what we do. For more information, please contact Nic Jaspers at nicholas dot jaspers at gmail.
Interested in Baptism or Becoming a Member?
If you would like to be baptized, please contact Matthew Hoskinson at matthew at firstnyc dot org. And if you are interested in participating in the next New Members Class, please email Daniel Koo at info at firstnyc dot org.
Hope to see you Sunday!